Supercritical Fluid Technology is now one of the major tools for processing food, cosmetics and pharma ingredients. The technology presents many key and decisive advantages allowing to reach:
Innovative products: New food ingredients different from those obtained from classical solvent extraction or distillation. New pharmaceutical/cosmetic active principles synthesis, extraction, purification or formulation can now be manufactured with better perfomances, no solvent residual content, better purities, etc...
Regulatory and Safety issues: CO2 can be chosen as an alternative for organic solvents, that are potentially toxic and shall be progressively banned for food and pharma products.
Quality considerations: Supercritical technology allows developing high value products with new properties. Moreover food supplements and nutraceuticals keep their « natural» character or for phytopharmaceuticals moving from « chemicals » to «naturals» processing.
Natural product processing for food, neutraceutical and cosmetic applications
Food supplement & Nutraceuticals:
- Colorants deodorization of blue color from red cabbage juice, orange color from pot
- Marigold flower, carotenoids from palm oil or shellfish or carrots, etc...,
- Antioxidant preservatives deodorization of rosemary extract,
- Texture agents, and amphiphilic molecule agents,
- Active principles, vitamins or antioxidants from vegetals, pigments and PUFAs from selected oils like fish or algae oils,
- Polar lipids from cereals,
- Elimination of pesticides (ginseng) or toxaphenes (fish oils) Desodorisation.
Flavors and fragrances with higher of higher organoleptic quality
- High-grade and high qulity flavors/fragrances (vanilla, orris, jasmine, etc.);
- New extracts impossible to obtain easily by classical processes, new aromatic and anti-oxidant fractions (ex fermented beverages extracts).
Food stabilization and preservation, pest decontamication:
- Drying of food stuff with quality preservation
- Pest decontamination of the products
Health and Pharmaceutical applications
Extraction and Purification:
Many active principles, from either natural or synthetic sources, can be extracted, fractionated and purified with SCF.
- Extracts or purification of medicinal plants (Saw palmetto, chamomile extract, and many others),
- Elimination of residual solvents from synthetic drugs (antibiotics),
- Elimination of monomers or other toxic pollutants from bio-materials (polymeric patches, prostheses and implants) and cosmetic products (lacquers).
Supercritical technology can offer various processes for micro particle formation and complex solvent-free formulation to obtain increased disssolution rates, stabilisation of molecules, sustained released forms, etc...
Sterilisation of API and medical devices,
SEPAREX and its partners propose some process and product development, equipment from lab to production scale and all our assistance, expertise, know-how to assist you in using our supercritical technology.